Sunday, April 8, 2012

Flea Market Finds & Their Stories

It had been more than a year since I'd made my way to the Alameda Flea Market.  Probably better ... saves me money.  I do give myself a budget when I go, not taking more than a certain amount each time, and never going to the ATMs they've added.

Never-the-less, I still tend to buy a whole lotta stuff.  Here's this month's loot:

Birdcage :: Before

Birdcage :: After
Great little storage for the desk...

 Louisville Stoneware Platter

I can't believe the deal I got on this...$8!  This size platter usually costs about $75.  Oh these Californians ... they had no idea what they had!  ; )


The Girl Scout Handbook :: 1949
This might be my favorite pick for the day.  
I sat down and read about half of it that very day.  It really reads more of a How-To for living life.  It's sweet and encouraging and really makes you want to be a better person.

One of my favorite passages from the beginning of the Arts & Crafts chapter:

"In the beginning, the thing you make will not be as finished as something made by an artist or craftsman, but it will be your own and that is what counts.  If you design it and you make it, you can honestly sign your name to it.  Here are some hints that may help you:

Don't be afraid to try.
Give your own ideas a chance.
Make your own designs, if possible.
Do all the work yourself, if possible.
Take the time to work as carefully as you can.
Use your tools with care & respect.
Keep on improving your skill.
Be interested in what other people have done.
Teach someone else what you have learned."

Two Italian sconces from the 1950s.  Also, a steal, I think.  
When I looked them up online once I got home, I found someone trying to sell something similar for $1900.

I did not pay anything close to that.  At all.  At ALL.


 A photograph that reminded me of the picture of my Grannie Annie.
On the back of the frame, it gave all of her info.
Dorothy Elaine Horner
born 4/4/1911
Daughter of John W. & Augusta C.
married to Fred D. Felter, Sept. 23, 1932
mother of Kathleen Ellen & Stephen John

I, of course, immediately tried to find her online.  And if Google can be believed, she is alive and well in Portland, Oregon.  I wish I could find her address, though, and let her know I found her picture.
Happy Belated Birthday, Dorothy!

Plates from my favorite French vendor and shallow muffin tins.

I don't think I'll eat directly off of them, but they are The Perfect Size for my glass salad plates to sit on top of...which was exactly what I was hoping for.  They will look beautiful at a sit-down dinner.

Easel :: Before
It's not old, but it's a fantastic display piece.

Easel :: After
As Drew says, I've tried to "butch up" his side of the bed: a farm print on the wall & vintage target sheets on the easel. As manly as you can get!  

Not a bad day at The Flea.  I got a lot of compliments on the sconces as I was leaving with them. And one of Gail's co-workers (whom we ran into there) interrogated her the next day about what I was planning on doing with them.  But, in all honesty, my favorite purchase was definitely the Girl Scout Handbook.  And so I leave you with a few words of wisdom from it...

"A Happy Home is one is which all the members of the family take pleasure in sharing their experiences and their abilities.
Your home may be one room, a small apartment, a modest cottage, or a large house with many rooms. Whatever the size, the happiness of the home depends upon the skill and kindliness of the people who live in it.
Homemaking is an art, a profession, and a business.  It belongs to every girl and woman in some degree.  Start now to train yourself."



No comments: